Jan 23, 2015

What I'm Reading




I have admit, I didn't get a whole lot of reading in this past week. Well, actually, that's not entirely true. I finished my Nora Roberts reading binge on the weekend, and then I didn't get a whole lot of reading in after that. But I have a very good reason why not. My very first grandchild was born on Wednesday:



Isn't she beautiful? And look at all that hair! Her name is Eleanor Catherine Anne. I can't wait to start reading to her. :-D

Electronic Books

So, a funny thing happened on the way to reading more electronic books . . . I, uh, didn't. Yeah, I'm pretty much a lazy bones at heart, so I haven't made it back on the exercise bike or the treadmill yet. Maybe this week.

Tree Books

I'm just over the halfway point in Horns, by Joe Hill. I'm still not sure how I feel about the main character, Ig, but I am curious to see if we ever find out where the horns came from. There's a lot of flashing back in this story, and we finally learn what happened (from Ig's point of view) the night Merrin was killed. According to Terry, Ig's brother (and who was under the strange spell that compels people to tell all their secrets), it was Ig's friend Lee who raped and killed her. So now Ig is off to confront Lee.

After reading Blue Dahlia, by Nora Roberts, followed by Black Rose, and then Red Lily, my hunger for Nora Roberts was pretty much satisfied. Which, honestly, is fine by me. While I enjoyed the books a great deal, by the third one I was getting kind of annoyed at this group of women for whom things always seemed to work out.

When all is said and done, I found the most appealing character to be Amelia, the ghost, whose story is a thread throughout all three books. Though she got to where she was in life through her own ambition, she didn't deserve what was done to her, and you have to wonder if she might have turned her life around in some way (despite her plans for the future). Her madness and subsequent death were heartbreaking.

Re-Reads

So . . . since my reading glut seems to be over, I pretty much stopped reading Captivated by Nora Roberts, book one of the Donovan Legacy. And if I'm honest, I'll probably just put it back on the shelf where it belongs. I think I'm pretty much done with Ms. Roberts for now. :-)

I do like to have an anthology on the go, so I picked up an oldie but a goodie called The Fantastic Imagination II. This is an anthology of High Fantasy stories by the likes of Lord Dunsany, C.L. Moore, Lloyd Alexander, and Ursula K. Le Guin. And the best part is, enough time has passed since I read this that it's like reading it for the first time. :-D

With all those fantasy and science fiction books towering above me in my nook, it's hard not to start pulling them down and re-reading old favorites. But once I get my reference books moved to their new home, I can fix up my "to-be-read-bookcase" and you can see for yourselves why I'm manfully resisting.

Of course it doesn't help when I do a thrift store run and end up browsing through their books. You never know what treasures you'll find, and they're so much cheaper than a used book store! I found a hardback copy of Sherrilyn Kenyon's Acheron for a quarter. Sure, I have it in paperback, but that's because I couldn't afford the hardback.

I also came away with 18 story books for my new granddaughter, but that's another story entirely. :-D

So . . . what about you? What have you been reading lately?

2 comments:

RamblingWords said...

Your grandbaby is beautiful beyond words. What a precious little girl!

You have gotten more reading done than I have. I have read at a cookbook and have re-read some Southern Living magazines. Most of my reading has been news online. I am a news junkie. I don't watch the news I just read it.

Have a good weekend, Ardee-ann

C R Ward said...

Thank you Ardee-ann!

I stopped reading newspapers when my daughter was little - all the bad things happening in the world ... I would have never let her out of the house if I'd kept reading.

These days I get most of my news from Facebook, which is a terrible source really. :-D